In April of 1937, in a demonstration that ‘Athletic dance was the future sport of American men”. Ted Shawn and His Men Dancers performed at The Mechanics Monument by Douglas Tilden.
The sculpture, located at the intersection of Market, Bush and Battery Streets in San Francisco, was dedicated on May 15, 1901. President Theodore Roosevelt visited the fountain on May 13, 1903 and spoke to a large crowd using the monument as a backdrop. His speech: “Expansion and Trade Development and Protection of the Countries Newly Acquired Possessions.”